Thursday, January 31, 2013

The New Norm

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc2NlmFwkS0
While reading Chapter 4 this week, the first thing/person who came to my head was the character Cynthia Rose from the newly released movie, Pitch Perfect. I don't know why, but butch comes to my mind. Rose is a very strong character, probably one of the strongest characters in the movie. She doesn't act like the typical girl, but not like the typical guy either. The way she dresses, bright colors, Nike's with straps, and plaid shirts and sweatshirts, makes you know that she is a strong woman who comes out as shy about her identity. She doesn't dress in baggy pants or shirts. and her hair is cut originally and died a pinky-red color. In the movie, there are parts where she 'accidentally' grabs another character on her butt or on her boob, and then she quickly pulls her hand away. Rose acts like there isn't anything wrong, but the rest of the cast knows that she is a lesbian. By the end of the movie, Rose tells the rest of the cast of her ex-girlfriend. Fat Amy, another strong character, calls out that she knew it! She knew that Rose was a lesbian, but didn't want to ask Rose about it before. Rose has more of a masculine sexual script than a feminine script, in my opinion. She acts and talks more manly than the obvious, "Oh, I broke my fingernail." Rose is a modern-day manly girl. She isn't totally a girly girl, but she doesn't dress or look like a man.

I don't know why I thought of Cynthia Rose when I read this chapter, but I did. Rose is a strong character, and I wish I could be as strong and self-confident as her. She doesn't show that she cares about what other people think about her. All that matters is that she is happy and can live a life that she wants to live.

1 comment:

  1. I watched "Pitch Perfect" and Rose is a very strong character that is true. She dresses as if she has no cultural norms. She is confident and comes out with her sexuality in the end. Although, I have to say that her hand gestures were in no way accidental. In fact, when the other female character that she likes is leaning over, she is blatantly staring at her butt. In other places she is glaring down the girl's shirt. In another incident she is holding the girl's butt on purpose. We must be remembered that this is sexual harassment....although it is yet to be determined whether or not the other character wanted that. We don't get to see the whole situation played out. Be that as it may I do not think it is good that she is always touching that girl or looking down her shirt. Her strength and confidence is something to be admired though and she definitely crosses the gender norm line.
    -Rachael Belcher

    ReplyDelete