Sunday, March 3, 2013

Support for ALL WOMEN



https://www.change.org/petitions/violence-doesn-t-discriminate-tell-the-house-to-pass-violence-against-women-act-vawa-for-all-women?utm_campaign=friend_inviter_chat&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition&utm_term=permissions_dialog_false

I saw this video when looking over my friend's shoulder while she perused her Facebook  This video is in response to the house voting on the Violence Against Women Act. It also goes to speak out against how even though the senate passed this law with a majority of 78 to 22, 22 people still thought this act was a bad idea. Who oppose a law that is striving to keep all people safer. This law has been expanded to protect those of the LGBT community as well as Native American women. This is an awesome thing to have happened. We hear too many stories about hate crimes towards LBGT members but little protection is given to the victims. This new protection in the act will hopefully light a spark for a better community and for a better tomorrow. So really i see nothing wrong with this law, I just want to get into the heads of those 22 senators that voted against this law. What did they disapprove of in a law that only wants to give equal protect for all types for women, for women who may have experienced violence but had little support in their corner. What kind of flaws did these 22 people think will happen if they expanded the umbrella of protection. I mean i guess i am just hung up on this confusion that people wouldn't want to help all sorts of people. I think my discomfort with this comes from my strong urge to reach out to as many people as possible. I feel compelled to reach out my hand and touch those in need help, in need of someone to care. Walking through downtown Portland it is evident of the drug and homeless problem. people on every corner almost and all in need for your pocket change. And most of the time you may not know how they were put into that situation  Personally i like talking to people even when i have nothing to hang them, but for some a emphatic conversation with a fellow human being is just a s good as money. I have met those who are on the street because of abuse and violence, and it breaks my heart. I have high hoeps that VAWA will continue to o good things, I have high hopes that more people can reach out and be able to help women and those facing violence.

1 comment:

  1. All 20 women democrat and republican women voted for the bill to pass, which shows how important this bill was for women’s rights all around. I do agree with you that it is very concerning that 22 people in the senate saw something that was only supposed to do good, and a negative thing. So doing my research on the subject all who voted against this act where white males that believed this bill would deny non-native American defendants of their rights to due process and trial by a jury of their peers, because they would face trial in tribal courts. Even though they were faced with that fact that 3 out of 5 native women are faced with abuse in their life time. So because the survivor of these attacks was/is native the 22 who voted against assumed that the attacker should get to be triad where ever is most in his favor? I personal don’t understand the difference of being triad on tribal land or not, we are all in the same country, so if someone can enlighten me on the differences that would sway 22 men’s opinions I would be grateful?

    ReplyDelete