Saturday, March 2, 2013

Gender-Based Violence and Music

            It is interesting to think about how much music influences the way we look at life. I was alarmed when I started listening more closely to the words of some of my favorite songs. For instance, the song "Face Down" by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, is quite disturbing. Lyrics like, "do you feel like a man when you push her around?", "face down in the dirt, she said this doesn't hurt", and "a new life she has found", make me almost embarrassed that I've enjoyed this song for so long! Taking such a heavy topic and weaving it into catchy music can hinder the way we address topics such as abuse.

Take a listen for yourself... catchy right?



            Gender-based violence is the act of an individual placing harm upon someone of the opposite sex, often times in the desire to "gain" empowerment or control. Young children listen to songs that promote learning and education. Young teens are drawn to songs about dancing and upbeat rhythms. So, as an adult, why am I drawn to songs like "Face Down" that are all about abuse? This song generalized this "female" as a victim of abuse. Never do they promote woman-power, express the emotional/mental tolls of abuse, or even give the "victim" a voice. Ultimately, this leads to the idea that women are always played as victim, never stand up for themselves, and do little to stop the process of violence.
           
           I think it is very important to understand the influences of our music. Gender-based violence is not inherited, it is learned. Today's music is expressive towards drugs, alcohol and partying; it is very well known that the leading attributes to gender-based violence is drawn from the three exact things. That's the problem with music- it have evolved from harmless to suggestive, and our youth may be suffering the consequences. The song "Face Down", like many other catchy songs, denote a scary stigma about society: men are punishers and women play victims. Is this really how we want to portray our genders?

2 comments:

  1. This is an awesome topic to bring up! I love music, but lately, I feel like I have to skip through a lot of songs on Pandora before I come across a song that doesn't talk about sex, drugs, or talking about women in a demeaning way. There is a song called Hey Porsche by god knows, but he talks about the woman, Porsche, and how he wants to "ride her" and "drive her". Its just so gross! Why can't songs have meaningful and good morals anymore? It's all about sex, boobs, and ass nowadays. It really is gross.
    And I really liked how you brought up how "gender-based violence is not inherited, it is learned". I totally agree! No one in particular is born evil, violent, or dangerous. we are all born the same. It just how one is brought up in their childhood, in my opinion. Form what I've seen and learned over the years ,a broken home really does a number on a child. Awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This used to be one of my favorite songs but I never have thought to stop and actually interpret the lyrics. Music is one of the greatest tributes to our culture, yet it sad to say it can have a negative impact. The guys I live with listen nothing but rap, and rehearse popular songs like tyga's "bouncing on my d". Music have sexualized women worst then "face down", you would be surprised how far it's gotten. Even more so the music videos mainly involves women in some sort of an emotional distraught position, as victims. I agree with you that it is a scary stigma, before we have the Beatles serenading peace and love, now we have music like this and many others. We don't inherit this music we end up learning it.

    ReplyDelete