Sunday, February 10, 2013

Women as Objects

This week's focus on women in advertisements has always been a focus in my life. Ever since I was in late middle school/early high school, I've had the worst self-confidence. And watching size 0 models on TV doesn't help me gain more self-respect for myself.
The other day, I was listening to Pandora. I was on the Today's Hits radio, and Nelly's new song popped on. It's called Hey Porsche. And the whole time I was listening to it I was thinking 'Wow! Women are portrayed as cars now. That's just great.' I think this new song completely and totally illustrates what we've been talking about in class, and from the Killing Us Softly video. The whole song talks about how he, Nelly, wants to ride her and try her: "Hey little Porsche, I just wanna try ya". What the heck, man? Do we really want our children of this generation to hear this kind of thing? I remember when I was young, and My Humps came onto the market by The Black Eyed Peas. I had no idea what they were talking about, and I sang the lyrics everywhere because they were catchy. Kids now will be singing these lyrics, and won't know what they mean. Kids don't know any better.
Here are some other lyrics that just made me want to throw up in my mouth: "You sexy thing, you turn me on, I need a private show, here on the lawn, in my garage".
The rest of the lyrics are on the following link: http://www.lyricspremiere.com/nelly-hey-porsche-lyrics.html#ixzz2KWcSMJqm
The first thing that came to my mind when listening to this song was the advertisement we watched in class about the new Fiat. The gorgeous Italian model who was dripping whipped cream on herself in front of a nerdy looking guy. He was totally in love with her and the idea that she could've been his. But then he opened his eyes to see that it was just a car. It's just gross to think that people actually want to put this kind of thing on TV.
I just want people to see that women are not cars, beer, tables, or objects in general. Women are people and need to be respected and treated as such.

No comments:

Post a Comment