Sunday, February 24, 2013

Reflections on My Own Life


So while thinking of a topic today I spent a bit of time looking through the internet for a contemporary issue to blog about... I came up with nothing that could spark my interest. So I started thinking of the issues I had been pondering this week. So that’s what I want to talk about today.

The first thing I’d like to bring up is baby formula. For years I had thought baby formula was great and just a thing that made life easier for mothers. Then I learned why baby formula was created; baby formula was created as a substitute for nursing for mothers that could endanger their child by breastfeeding (mother’s with HIV/AID, or other diseases which might be transferred through breastfeeding). I also learned that babies which receive formula as opposed to breast milk have a myriad of health issues that go along with that using formula. In addition to that there is a certain amount of bonding that is achieved through the pain of the baby nursing from the mother.

The second thing I struggled with this week was the facts about cesarean sections. I think this topic is a little difficult for me because of my own past. My mother had a hell of a time with both of her pregnancies, at one point she turned yellow. My sister and I were both born 8 weeks early after repeated attempts to delay our births. My sister came out blue and I came out with a spot on my brain.  The doctors told my mom that I wouldn’t make it to a year old, 23 years later and I’m still here. I’ve had nurse friends of mine tell me that women who do not experience a natural birth don’t bond as well with their children. I have to say I can’t imagine having a better relationship with my mother.

On the other hand, my husband was not born by cesarean section… but probably should have been. When he was born his mother had hepatitis, which had been passed from their recently adopted son. Children born vaginally while the mother has a disease which can be passed on by bodily fluids are much more likely to be born with the disease as well. Thankfully this was not the case for my husband.

One more musing I have about how this week’s topic relates to my own life, I can honestly say that as a 23 year old, married women, I have not felt the pressure to have children… in fact it’s pretty much the opposite. My parents would like us to wait until we’re more financially stable, which is what my husband and I want anyways. However, my mother-in-law wants us to wait ‘til we’re at least 30. I constantly hear how my mother-in-law doesn’t want us to have children anytime soon. It gets a bit wearying.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent blog! On the topic of baby formula, I would also like to add that from my perspective, I see more mothers using it as an excuse to opt out of breastfeeding- not just health prevention. God wouldn't give us all boobs if they weren't going to serve a purpose... come on now! I too was born via cesarean. I think there is a fine line between "convenience" and "emergency" that more and more doctors are blurring. Being 'Baby B', my twin was born first (vaginally). If someone was to claim that children who are born naturally- and I believe you mean by vaginally- have a better relationship with their mothers, I too would disagree! Seeing that both my twin and I have a strong and equal relationship with our mother, I too can say otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is so awesome because the author was able to share so completely about her own life. It is so important when we talk about issues to also put ourselves into prospective. As far as caesarian section goes, I think it very much depends on the mother what kind of connection there will be. It is the same with formula. My sister (for lactose free reasons) had to take formula. She is a great kid that has an awesome relationship with my mother. There are so many things that people will tell you are going to affect how you mother a child. I think it is less that than the environment. Some effort needs to be done and otherwise it is up to the individual as a person.
    -Rachael Belcher

    ReplyDelete