Sunday, February 17, 2013

Nail Savvy Spa


It is well known that Asian American families ventures under the nail salon business. I am part of that stereotype. My mother immigrated to the states from Vietnam to rebuild her new life, however the weight of her expectations to the family had cost her education as well as her dreams. I’ve asked her why did she give up her dream to become a nurse and instead owning a nail salon? She simply answered, “I had to do what I can to take care of you”. I kept thinking over and over again what my mom had said. That was when I begin to think about all the other families who are in similar situations, the fight for survival. America provides the opportunity of education to everyone. But the idea to make quick money to provide is the option to take sacrificing education along the way. Both of my parents have given up their American dream, my mother who only has a high school diploma, and my father who dropped out of his last term of college; have complaints that cannot be answered unless they had a significant social economic standing. My parents tell me that their problems cannot be solve such as gender wage gap, benefits, pay hours, ECT is because they have no voice. Meaning their education standing and socioeconomic worth makes no effect than those who are. The issue I bring is that my immigrated parents and others who face the same experience will continue to be part of the statistics. Their unacknowledged issues will be ignored and unresolved. It is not because my parents do not motivate themselves to speak up; it is because they do not have the time to. Time is ticking and so is money. I believe this is a factor why in class we have discussed, “The poor becomes poorer, and rich becomes richer”, making quick money is the most logical path, and there is no time to explain.  

http://www.nailsmag.com/article/40699/the-asian-influence 

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree with your post. Interestingly enough this is what has happened to countless other races—being pushed into stereotypes almost against their will. For example, certain laws were imposed upon the Jewish for years which only allowed certain occupations to be made available to them. So yes, they took those jobs, why, because like you say, they needed the money NOW and there was no time to wait. And then what’s perhaps even more insulting is when Caucasian-normative people make jokes about those sorts of people always going into those jobs, when in reality, the possibility of other jobs are not available due to race, class and education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a white women, there is not much I can say in this instance. Although I have thought about it. We do what we do to survive and a lot of us choose the easier path. Unfortunately we often leave our dreams at the wayside. This ties in which the Justice Book we have been reading. Unfortunately, no one focuses on what a special group Asian Americans are when it comes to women's rights. Every group is different and they need to have a voice too and a way to channel that voice. It is hard enough being a women, but being a women and a minority must be doubly hard. It is time some of the majority stood up for these groups. They need help and if we can give it then we should.
    -Rachael Belcher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although i am just another white girl I think your posts speaks to me and reminds me of what my college counselor always told us in high school. That for some family we would be the first to have opportunities for a college education and that we could changing the educational stand of our families. I know so many friends who were the first to get a high school diploma and go to college on scholarships. And its not because they are smarter than what our parents are, it all has to do with more opportunities. And hopefully as more and more children get educational gains that they can raise above the need to just get a job to get by and pay the bills. My hopes are that I can see it through and make my dreams come true to I don;t have to settle. I hope that no child or parent has to settle in order to provide. Our generation can make a difference and be the ones to show our youth that dreams can be achieved.

    ReplyDelete